The Hoxie Bridge in
Taylor Park, Granger lake
(from the park plaque at the end of the bridge)
THE HAUNTING OF HOXIE BRIDGE
Erected at the turn of the century over the San Gabriel
River 3.5 miles east of Circleville, the Hoxie Bridge was washed
300 yards downstream during the devastating 1921 flood. In
November 1921 Austin Brothers was awarded a contract to
reconstruct the bridge, and a team of convict laborers was sent
to perform the work.
According to local legend, one of the prisoners, reputed to have
been a troublemaker, was shot in the head by a guard. The
mutilated body was hung from a tree as a grisly warning against
further trouble at the work site. A cruel death … no
burial. Perhaps these were the reasons that the prisoner’s
headless ghost haunted the eerie river bottom east of the Hoxie Bridge.
Area residents tell tales of lovers and late night travelers
frightened by the apparition on Friday nights during the full
moon. Mysteriously, a priest’s prayers for the prisoner’s
soul ended the specter’s vigil.
After the 1921 reconstruction, the bridge served Williamsonn Countyy
residents until it was dismantled in 1979 by the U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers, who erected it at the present site in
1982. Built with iron trusses and wood planking, thee
is typical of those
constructed in the early 1900’s. is typical of those
constructed in the early 1900’s.
click on image for an enlarged view
map - 1
map - 2
map - 3
Latitude: 30.670345, Longitude: -97.369275
"The Headless Horseman of Hoxie Bridge"
a special thanks to Impact news and Karen Thompson
for this slice of history