Population: 640 (2003)
Weir train depot, built in 1903. Weir, named for pioneer Calvin Weir, served as a stop on the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad between Granger and Georgetown. The depot also included a blacksmith shop and a cotton platform, used for loading cotton onto the rail cars.
Courtesy of Mervin and Tommy Walker
CITY OF WEIR HISTORY
Calvin Weir (1826–1901) came to Williamson County in 1856. he bought
land in this area and became a prosperous farmer. Alabaman James Francis
Towns (1850–1937) came in 1870 and settled nearby on the San Gabriel
river. He and his brother, Robert w. towns (1848–1938), operated a gin
and blacksmith shop, as well as towns mill.
In the late 19th century, the communities of Weir and Townsville (or towns mill) grew around these early settlers. Churches included Baptist and Presbyterian congregations that met at the prairie springs school, as well as an African American church that met in a school near Mankins Crossing. Calvin Weir's daughter, Lucy, served as postmaster at the post office in Townsville, where she also ran a small store.
The communities developed similarly until 1893, when the Georgetown and Granger railroad came through Weir, bypassing Townsville. In 1903, after the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Rail-Road (MKT) bought the line, known as the Katy, most area residents moved into the town of Weir, officially established that same year. The Katy Lake Resort, created by MKT on the river at towns mill dam, attracted tourists to the area. The Townsville post office moved to Weir, and with several new businesses, the town began to thrive.
A flood in 1913 damaged the resort and several local businesses, and after a severe drought, World War I and the great depression, Weir's population faltered but began to prosper again in the mid-20th century. Following voter approval, Weir incorporated as a city in 1987.
"Historical Commission staff (LCH), 8/20/02
27" x 42" Official Texas Historical Marker with post
Williamson County (Job #10802) Location: FM 971, between South Main and CR 120"
The WCHM extends a special thanks to the Walker family for letting the Commission display these photos from their photo collection. These photos are for viewing only - Photographic policies prohibit reproduction - please contact the WC museum for reproduction rights.
click on thumbnail images for an enlarged view
J. H. Walker [Jim] Walker Threshing Machine during Coffee Break
Weir Community Cemetery
Weir Community Cemetery
- Historical Marker
Weir Community Cemetery John Breneke (1847-1927) came from Fayette County to purchase 365 acres of farmland here in 1875. Deed records show he set aside two acres for a graveyard, perhaps upon the death of his sister-in-law, Susie B. Kemper (1868-1889), who died in childbirth; her grave is the earliest dated burial in the cemetery. Breneke, a Confederate veteran, is one of many soldiers buried here. The estate of Leola Hugg (1898-1975) added one acre to this site in 1978. This burial ground records the heritage of the area formerly known as Towns' Mill, Townsville, Prairie Springs and Buffalo Springs. Historic Texas Cemetery-2002 To be incised on the back: COOP AND LAURA SUE SMITH FAMILY
The Dedication of the New Weir Post Office
Welcome - Post Master - Jim McWhorter
Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
Mayor Mervin Walker
Introduction of Dignitaries
Speaker: Judge John Doerfler
Read letter from Congressman Carter Dan Gattis, State Representative Dist. 20
Speaker: Tom McDaniel Commissioner Precinct 3
Cutting of Ribbon - Jim McWhorter God Bless America - Everyone
Refreshments - Ladies of the Weir Community Club
HISTORY OF THE POST OFFICE
|Lucy A. Weir ran a
small store in Townsville where the Post Office was housed.
Lucy was the Post Master. In 1903 when the railroad came
through, she moved her store and the Post Office to a new
In a letter from the Post Office Department, reference was made to Weir as "Late Townsville". The commission of the Post Master was passed to Horace W Weir and upon his suggestion, the town was named Weir in honor of his father, Thomas Calvin Weir, who came to this location in 1856.
Lucy A. Weir Townsville
Horace W. Weir 1903 Weir
Annie Burnap 1919-1956
Nora Hausenfluck 1956-1972
Hattie Marshall Burran 1972-1999
Martha R. Mulville 2002
Janet M. Bland 2002
James D. McWhorter 2003
ASSISTANTS & CLERKS
Mary D. Burnap 1919
Sam Burnap 1919
Emma Pyle 1926
Constance Lee 1937
Norma G. Lee 1952
Mary D. Raum 1952
Rosalie Remillard Current PMR
Willie D. Pyle 1936
Scott Pyle 1927
Macon Jones 1923 & 1927
Roy Dowda 1923 & 1932
Gladys Mobley 1926
Hartford Mobley 1927
Cody Walker 1938
Emil Ischy 1941
Mary D. Lee 1943
click on thumbnail images for a enlarged view
Commissioner Precinct 3
for more info click on Weir, Texas