Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

  Turkey Creek School
Historical marker
the school was about 6 miles North East of
Taylor, Texas


on County Road 417 around 1 mile south of CR-419
 



click on thumbnail image for an enlarged view

road map -1


road map -2


road map -3

GPS Coordinates
Latitude: 30.6145975 - Longitude:-97.356226
UTM 14 657563 3388042



  Turkey Creek School
Historical Narrative - 1 by Mrs. Ernest (Sophie Braun) Wuthrich

Turkey Creek School was not one of the earliest established school districts in Williamson County, nor was it one of the latest. According to Public School Records in the County Superintendent's Office at Georgetown, the Turkey Creek School was established in the 1893-94 school year. It was listed in School District 21 with the Stiles and Long Branch schools.

The first Turkey Creek School teacher was Miss F. F. Hamilton, who received a salary of $35.00.a month for a term of less than four months; the total payment being $126.00. The first payment was made on January 22, 1894. The record shows twenty-eight pupils...whether these were census scholastics or actual pupils enrolled is unknown. The names of the first trustees are also unknown, but among those serving in that capacity before 1900 were: H. Priesmeyer, G. W. Heselmeyer, A. Braker, H. Schwenker, F. Meiske and C. W. Remmert.

By the following year, 1894-95, District 21 included six schools. This was the lowest salary paid school year in Turkey Creek School history, when only $112.00 was paid to Adell Crowder, the teacher, at a salary of $35.00 per month.

In 1895-96, Turkey Creek School was placed in a district by itself - District 65, which it retained for the life of the school.

The first male teacher, E.G. Sherley, received the highest monthly salary increase in the early teacher history. He received a $25.00 a month increase, namely $60.00 instead of the $35.00 a month paid the two previous teachers. The shortest term in Turkey Creek School history was 1895-96, as only three payments were made; one each month of February, March and April. However, it should be noted that the previous school year with a salary of $35.00 a month and a total payment of $112.00, is very near to being the shortest term. Both terms were only about three months each.

In 1896-97 the salary declined to $45.00 a month. H. Westenbar was the teacher.

The first mention of an eight-month school term was in the 1910-11 year record, with Pearl Ploeger teaching her third and last year.

The highest salaries during the early one-teacher history of the school were paid to S. C. Zettner 1913-14, Jewel Cain in 1914-16 and Florence Guenzel in. 1918-19, each receiving $75.00 per month.

The first record of a two-teacher school is the 1919-20 school term. The teachers were Mamie Burkhart and. Margaret Thornton, each receiving a monthly salary of $60.00. Also listed, during the year, is a payment of $75.00 to Miss Lottie Pythian. It is thought that she was a substitute teacher during the absence of a regular teacher.

Obviously a period of prosperity had set in and an increase in enrollment had taken place, because a new two-teacher school had been built, and the highest increase in salary during the two-teacher history took place in the 1920-21 term. Mamie Burk-hart's salary increased $50.00 a month, from $60.00 to $110.00, while Margaret Thornton's Salary increased $30.00 a month, from $60.00 to $90.00. The following Margaret Thornton a $20.00 increase, thus paying each teacher a salary of $110.00 a month.

During 1921 Mamie Burkhart became Mamie Arledge, thus becoming the first married lady teacher of Turkey Creek School.

There are only four and one-half school terms on record when both teachers received equal salaries. Besides Mamie Burkhart and Margaret Thornton in 1919-20 and 1921-22, were Ruth Schroeder and Alma Ramm in 1940-42 and Sophie Pfluger Braker and Irene Strarup in the first half of the 1942-43 school term. Otherwise, the elementary teacher always received from $5.00 to $20.00 a month more than the primary teacher.

In 1932-33, when the depression was hard felt, and school funds short, Miss Ruth Fritz, who had taught in the Turkey Creek School for four previous years, and Sophie Braun Wuthrich, who had taught three previous years, each took a $15.00 monthly salary cut. This is the largest salary cut in two successive years taken by any teachers who had previously taught in the same school.

From 1934 on, monthly payments began to steadily increase; but for a time were not paid in full monthly payments, being divided into small monthly payments, upon which followed the twelve-month basis instead of eight monthly payments, with social security and retirement being paid.

The last half of the 1942-43 school term was the only one in the history of Turkey Creek School when the elementary teacher, Sophie Braun Wuthrich, received less salary than the primary teacher, Sophie Pfluger Braker.

The last teachers of the two-teacher system were Sophie Pfluger Braker and Ruth Hoerman Schroeder in 1943-44. This year and the preceding one-half year was the only time when both teachers were married.

The highest two-teacher, eight month's salaries were paid from 1930-32 With 1921-22 and 1925-30 running close seconds with only $5.00 a month less.

Highest salaries beginning with 1934 in the two-teacher system are ,difficult to determine due to the dividend payments, and the twelve-month basis, previously mentioned.

Sophie Pfluger Braker continued to teach the one-teacher school until May, 1949, when the school closed its doors permanently. The teachers' salary reached its peak in the latter part of the 1947-48 school term, when it rose to $158.31 a month, on a twelve-month basis, with retirement and social security already paid. This was an increase in salary of over $60.00 a month from the previous salary of the 1946-47 term, and the largest salary increase in Turkey Creek School history.

During the fifty-six year history of Turkey Creek School, twenty-nine teachers were employed. One substitute was paid directly by, the county, and various others substituted who were paid by the regular teacher. Of the twenty-nine teachers, only seven were males and no males were employed after the 1916-17 school term, or during the two-teacher school years.

The following is a list of the twenty-nine Turkey Creek School teachers, the number of years each taught, the number of the succession of teachers, the dates of the years each taught, and the married names of lady teachers, if known.



There is no available information on record concerning the pupils attending Turkey Creek School, but there is one commendable record known to be true, and undoubtedly never matched by another pupil in the Turkey Creek School history. That record was held by the former Louise Kruse, who attended school for eight years, making all eight grades with a perfect attendance, being neither absent or tardy.

 
 
 
 


Turkey Creek School

Historical Narrative - 2 by Mrs. Ernest (Sophie Braun) Wuthrich

Building
The land for the Turkey Creek School building was given by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Henkes in 1898.

The one room frame school house was immediately built. The siding was cypress wood. Pine studding, size 2' x 4, were used. Beaded ceiling was used for the entire school.

After the school was discontinued at Turkey. Creek, the pupils continued their school education at Thrall, Texas, and some coming to Taylor, Texas school.

During the fifty-six year history of teaching at Turkey Creek School, Sophie Braun (Mrs. Ernest Wuthrich) taught school there 51 years during the years of 1929-1934 and 1943.

Mrs. Ernest Wuthrich at the present time is chairman of the Annual Reunion Association Which is held at Wuthrich Hill Church in August of each year.

Mrs. Ernest Wuthrich lives in Bartlett, Texas.

Turkey Creek School was not one of the earliest established school districts in Williamson County, nor was it one of the latest. According to Public School Records in the County Superintendent's. Office at Georgetown,. the Turkey Creek School was established in 1893-1894 school year. It was listed in School District 21 with the Stiles and Long Branch Schools.

The first Turkey Creek School teacher was Miss F. F. Hamilton, who received a salary of $35.00 a month for a term of less than four months; the total payment being $126.00. The first payment was made on January 22, 1894. The record shows twenty-eight pupils. . .whether these were census scholastics or actual pupils enrolled is unknown. The names of the first trustees are also unknown, but among those serving in that capacity before 1900 were: H. Priesmeyer, G. W. Heselmeyer, A. Braker, H. Schwenker, F. Meiske and C. W. Remmert.
By the following year, 1894-95, District 21 included six schools. This was the lowest salary paid school year in Turkey Creek School history, when only $112.00 was paid to Adell Crowder, the teacher, at a salary of $35.00 per month.

In 1895-96, Turkey Creek School was placed in a district by itself-District 65, which it retained for the life of the school.

The first male teacher, E. G. Sherley, received the highest monthly salary increase in the early teacher history. He received a $25.00 a month increase, namely $60.00 instead of the $35.00 a month paid the two previous teachers. The shortest term in Turkey Creek School history was 1895-96, as only three payments were made; one each month of February, March and April. However, it should be noted that the previous school year with a salary of $35.00 a month and a total payment of $112.00, is very near to being the shortest term. Both terms were only about three months each.

In 1896-97 the salary declined to $45.00 a month. H. Westenbar was the teacher.

The first mention of an eight-month school term was in the 1910-11 year record, with Pearl Ploeger teaching her third and last year.

The highest salaries during the early one-teacher history of the school were paid to S. C. Zettner 1913-14, Jewel Cain in 1914-16 and Florence Guenzel in 1918-19, each receiving $75.00 per month.

The first record of a two-teacher school is the 1919-20 school term. The teachers were Mamie Burkhart and Margaret Thornton, each receiving a monthly salary of $60.00. Also listed, during the year, is a payment of $75.00 to Miss Lottie Pythian. It is thought that she was a substitute teacher during the absence of a regular teacher.

Obviously a period of prosperity had set in and an increase in enrollment had taken place, because a new two-teacher school had been built, and the highest increase in salary during the two-teacher history took place in the 1920-21 term. Mamie Burkhart's salary increased $50.00 a month, from $60.00 to $110.00, while Margaret Thornton's salary increased $30.00 a month, from $60.00 to $90.00. The following year, Margaret Thornton received a $20.00 increase, thus paying each teacher a salary of $110.00 a month.

During 1921 Mamie Burkhart became Mamie Arledge, thus becoming the first married lady teacher of Turkey Creek School.

There are only four and one-half school terms on record when both teachers received equal salaries. Besides Mamie Burkhart and Margaret Thornton in 1919¬20 and 1921-22, were Ruth Schroeder and Alma Ramm in 1940-42 and Sophie Pfluger Braker and Irene Strarup in the first half of the 1942-43 school term. Other¬wise, the elementary teacher always received from $5.00 to $20.00 a month more than the primary teacher.

In 1932-33, When the depression was hard felt, and school funds short, Miss Ruth Fritz, who had taught in the Turkey Creek School for four previous years, and Sophie Braun Wuthrich, who had taught three previous years, each took a $15.00 monthly salary cut. This is the largest salary cut in two successive years taken by any teachers who had previously taught in the same school.

From 1934 on, monthly payments began to steadily increase; but for the time were not paid. in full monthly payments, being divided into small monthly payments, upon which followed the twelve-month basis instead, of eight monthly payments, with social security and retirement being paid.

The last half of the 19142-43 school term was the only one in the history of Turkey Creek School when the elementary teacher, Sophie Braun Wuthrich, received less salary than the primary teacher,- Sophie Pfluger Braker.

The last teachers of the two-teacher system were Sophie Pfluger Braker and Ruth Hoerman Schroeder in 1943-344. This year and the preceding one-half year was the only time when both teachers were married.

The highest two-teacher, eight month's salaries were paid from 1930-32 with 1921-22 and 1925-30' running close seconds with only $5.00 a month less.

Highest salaries beginning with 1934 in the two-teacher system are difficult to determine due to the divided payments, and the twelve-month basis, previously mentioned.

Sophie Pfluger Braker continued to teach the one-teacher school until May 1949, when the school closed its doors permanently. The teachers' salary reached its peak in the latter part of the 1947-118 school term, when it rose to $158.31 a month, on a twelve-month basis, with retirement and, social security already paid. This was an increase in salary of over $60.00 a month from the previous salary of the 1946-47 term, and the largest salary increase in Turkey Creek School history.

During the fifty-six year history of Turkey Creek School, twenty-nine teachers were employed. One substitute was paid directly by the county, and various others substituted who were paid by the regular teacher. Of the twenty-nine teachers, only seven were males and no males were employed after the 1916-17 school term, or during the two -teacher school years.



 




school 1911
 




 
 
view more on Taylor Texas