Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

  Tenth Street United Methodist Church
Historical Marker
Taylor, Texas

10th & Hackberry
 
  Marker Text:
Services conducted in 1896-98 by the Rev. C. Charnquist in homes of Taylor's early settlers let to the founding (1900) of the Swedish Methodist Church, North. Buying the chapel of a disbanded group, the congregation increased, moving their church to this site in 1911. Membership stabilized at about 240 in the 1920s. In 1935 English became the language in regular use. National religious trends led to name changes. The interior of the sanctuary was remodeled in 1950; annex added in 1963. Twenty-eight pastors have served this church.


 
 
Tenth Street United Methodist Church
Historical Narrative by A. M. Ahlgreen, with
additional material by Clara Scarbrough.

The Tenth Street United Methodist Church of Taylor is located on land known as Lots 6, 7 and 8 of Block 2, Murphy Addition. This was a part of a tract granted to T. A. Johnson by the State of Texas in 1849. (Vol. 16, page 534) T. A. Johnson held the land for more than two decades, but when it became known that the International and Great Northern Railroad would build in that area, the exchange of land became more active. In 1874, T. A. Johnson sold to Mary M. Williams (Vol. 15, page 621); Mary M. and H. G. Williams sold to N. W. Hunter in 1875. (Vol. 16, pages 393 and 532) In 1876, the year the railroad was actually built, N. W. Hunter sold the tract to R. S. Hayes. (Vol. 18, page 299)

From this point, all exchanges took place to prominent residents of the newly formed town of Taylorsville. R. S. Hayes sold to C. L. Fowzer in 1877 (Vol. 19, page 31); C. L. Fowzer sold to George V,. 3urkett and Dan Murphy, who were partners in real estate and other business ventures in the area, in 1882 (Vol. 28, page 73); Burkett sold his share in the holding to Dan Murphy November 10, 1884 (Vol. 36, page 581); and the Murphy Addition was formed (Vol. 101, pages 240-41). Although the Tenth Street United Methodist Church had purchased their church in 1900 from the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, they continued to hold services at the location of the old Cumberland church for ten years. Then on December 31, 1910, the Tenth Street Methodists purchased another lot, the one described above, and moved the church from its original location to the new site in Murphy Addition. The sale was made from Dan Murphy to F. Dahlberg, the latter acting for the church which was then called the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church.

The documentation of the date of building is provided in the deed of sale to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church elders the block of land recorded in Vol. 71, page 330: John Allen Gano of Taylor deeded lots 5 and 6 of Block 2 of the Doak Addition, Taylor, to the elders of Cumberland Presbyterian Church, I. M. Hedrick. W. B. Pybus, Samuel Robertson, on March 17, 1894. The deed specified that the land was for the purpose of providing a building site, and the sale was made for $300.

The motivation for erecting the church was similar to that of a number of denominations, formed in the late 1870s, 1880s and 1890s, as the new railroad town grew and need for church homes became apparent. The Cumberland Presbyterians had the structure built--a modest, frame building, typical of the architecture of that period. According to histories of that church, whose life was brief, I. M. Hedrick headed the elders who funded the project. The church membership was small, however, and found itself unable to support its maintenance, and to pay the balances due on the building. After a few years of struggle, the members moved to other churches in the town, including a First Presbyterian which was formed still earlier and Mr. Hedrick was left with outstanding bills. For this reason, he decided to sell the building to the Swedish Methodists, who were looking for a church home, in order to recover his losses. As already noted, the sale was made in 1900, and the Methodist group, who had been meeting in homes, now held services in the old Cumberland Church on the Doak Addition lot, until 1910. The architect and contractors are unknown.

The original structure contained a large, high-ceilinged sanctuary and, to one side, a Sunday School area, partially opened into the sanctuary through a wide spanning archway, originally curtained off. There was also a small foyer or entryway. The outside was finished in wood siding, and the entry door and windows utilized the pointed arch. A square tower topped by a pointed steeple was built at one corner of the church, approximately at the entry. Inside, the high ceiling was finished with wall paper, as were the wood walls; and the floors were oak.

The original altar area was one level only, and the altar was enclosed by a beveled banister railing. The original pulpit chairs, which have been retained, were of oak, had hand carved trim in leaf and roses design. The chair backs had turned rails. The communion table was of simple lines, had an unusual curved shape at the corners. When the building was moved to its present site in 1910, Eric and John Engstrom, brothers, repainted and papered the interior. of the church.

In 1950, the church underwent extensive remodeling. The ceiling paper was covered with acoustical tile, and the papered walls .covered with beige grooved panels of asbestos wallboard above the painted wainscoting, which is of the now-rare beaded wood. she east door in the rear of the church, which originally led to the parsonage, was covered, and a door added on the north side in its place. A platform was added in the rear of the pulpit, to give two levels in the altar area. The pointed section of the steeple was removed, but the square tower retained. The northwest entrance to the church was changed to the southwest, and, still later, to the south. Until this time, the church was cooled by ceiling fans, but the remodeling project included replacing some of the windows with rectangular casement types, which give more light and air. Fans were replaced by central air conditioning. The wide arch which separated the small east wing used by Sunday School classes was raised, and the east section became a part of the sanctuary, thus enlarging the space for the congregation. New oak pews and pulpit furniture were added, more in keeping with, the size and style of the interior. The older communion table and pulpit chairs were removed to the educational annex in 1963, where they sit in a place of honor at the front of the auditorium. Also in this group is an old collection plate, believed to be one of the originals at the church. The railing was removed from around the altar. The reed organ , in use for many years in the church, was replaced by an electric organ, and the reed organ presented the Bloomquist family, all musicians, who were church members. Robert Bloomquist, the eldest son, now has the organ in his Taylor home. The original communion pitcher and cup are also kept in the present educational annex. Exterior siding was also added.

In 1963, a large brick education annex was added on the north side of the church, and joined to the church with a small breezeway. Red carpets have been added in the Sanctuary providing a bright contrast to the soft neutral colors of the walls and oak furniture.

The church membership showed a gradual increase during the first quarter of century, then attained a stable number, which it has held for many years, its present membership being about 240. Since its membership originally was composed almost entirely of Swedish families who had emigrated from Sweden, the Swedish language was used in both church and Sunday School for many years. In 1935, the church voted to change from Swedish language sermons to English, and some years prior to that time, Sunday School converted to English.

Although the church represents an important ethnic group of that area, the church has also participated in many community activities and has been an integral part of Taylor life. The Woman's Society for Christian Service, through its circles, cooperates in a program to visit each of Taylor's nursing homes on Sunday afternoons and bring programs to the residents. WICS ladies also belong to an organization of all church women in Taylor, and assist with various projects sponsored by that group. In recent years, the church choir prepared and presented Swedish music during the Taylor Independence Days festival. The church's most recent project is to provide a place for a city-wide kindergarten for pre-schoolers. The kindergarten is administered by mothers of the children who attend, and meets in the educational annex of Tenth Street Church. All Taylor children, regardless of church affiliation, are eligible to attend.

The Tenth Street United Methodist Church of Taylor will celebrate its seventy-fifth year as an organized church in 1976, and wishes to commemorate that occasion with a State Historical Marker delineating the history of its church structure and of the church itself. The church building is 81 years old, and the gathering of small groups of Swedish people in Taylor to hold services dates back 79 years.


Tenth Street United Methodist Church addendum

Tenth Street United Methodist Church addendum 2


 
 
for more info and view images click on Taylor, Texas