Williamson County
Historical Commission

contact Wayne Ware (512) 863-2202


Taylor, Texas History
page 2 images 


Photographic policies prohibit reproduction - please contact the Williamson museum for reproduction rights. Your interests and the preservation of the materials will be assured by the observance of these policies and procedures.
To inquire about the use or purchase of any of these photographs please contact the museum at 512-943-1670

also view more photos - page 1
also view Taylor Historical Buildings, churches and homes 

 


 

click on thumbnail images for an enlarged view


pic 3051
Brick Hill West of Taylor, Brick Manufacturing,
ca. 1900


pic 3073
First National Bank, Taylor, Texas, Main & 2nd St. l-r: F.A. Allison, C.W. Lundell, Francis H. Welch, Jess Womack, Robert J. Eckherdt, Ruby Lansfor, Thompson Hague, F.L. Welch, ca. 1883


pic 3060
Catholic Daughters of America, ca. 1930's, Taylor, Texas. l-r Lorraine Castro Camacho, Lupe Amezquita Rincon, Pedro Mata, Sabtaba Mata, Mrs. Thomas M. [Catherine] McLaughlin, McLaughlin son, Thomas M. McLaughlin.
 


pic 3061
Buzan's Cafe, 115 N. Main, Taylor Texas. ca 1940. l-r Daniel Camacho and Mexican national walking from Mexico to World's Fair in New York, city.


pic 5041
Sons of Herman Lodge Group, Mitgleider der Loge No. 3 & No. 67, O.D.H.S., Taylor, Texas, May 9, 1903, middle row, 8th from right in white hat:
Carl Grau


pic 5046
Boys First Communion Class, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, 405 Sturgis, ca.1936. shown Rafael Martinez, Louis Reyes, Julian Perez, Father Lorenzo Ferraro, Rafael Torres, Panche Mata, Beto Velasques, Ruben Basulto.
 


pic 5047
Girls First Communion Class, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, 405 Sturgis, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1936.


pic 6037
Class Photo ca.1921, Alamo [Mexican Ward] School, south side elementary
school, 702 Sturgis St., Taylor, Texas


pic 6038
Christmas Program, West End School, 2nd grade, 13 Dec. 1939


pic 6039
Group Displaying Flag in Front of School


pic 6069
School Class

 


pic 6043
Laying Cornerstone for New Taylor High School, ca. 1923 l-r: John A. Heap, Judge R. Critz, J.W. Sillure, W.H. Anderson, Mike Thomas, E. H. Lawhon, H.G. Carlton, J.H. Guyot, J. N. Gillespie, R.E. Dolan, Joseph Corden
 


pic 6044
Taylor High School, ca.1900, Taylor, Texas


pic 8214
Don Hill with
cap & sweater


pic 6045

Taylor High School Baseball Team, Taylor, Texas, ca.1917, l-r: Robert Burnett, Patrick O'Donnell, Herschel Gray, Ben Walker, John Spegel, Richard Rush, Albert Braun, Howard Dodd, Walter Schelnik, Bob Spiegel, Joe O'Brien, Libe Fullerton, Earl Duce


pic 6046
Taylor High School Football Team 1915, back l-r: J. Thomas Hutto, Steve Achinson, George Luhn, George Helms, Clarence Ploeger, Robert Briggs, William Goff, middle l-r: Sprowl [mascot], Herbert Patterson, Tommy Slack, Vernon Adams, Lawrence Montor, bottom l-r: Clarence Sitman, Lem Bergstrom, Leonard Johnson [Capt.], Gordon
Talley, Vernon McConnell.
 


pic 6047
Alliance of Hispanic Baseball Team, ca. 1930. back l-r: Angel Amesquita, Paul Castro, Paul Almazan, Petronelio Garcia, Arnulfo Salinas, Front
l-r: Frank Contreas, Manuel Cabral, Larry Garcia, and Felipe Amesquita.


pic 6048
Alamo [Mexican] School, 702 Sturgis, Parents & Pupils, segregated school,
Taylor, Texas ca. 1939.


pic 8210
Lorraine Castro Camacho & Daughter Lorraine in Snow in 1942


pic 6101
Boys Team-Pet Brown Wrestling Club, Taylor, Texas ca. 1920 Photographer "The Brills",front row l-r: Henry Moehnke, Verner Rydell [age 13], far right Gunnar Rydell [age 16], 2nd row center: Joe Mikolik, Eric Roose [age 20], Mason, Charley Ryan, Wm. Dolan,  James Davis, "Cowboy" Brinkmeyer
 


pic 8146
505 Washburn, Carl Grau, Anna Becker Grau, Fritz Grau,
Louise Grau, Willie Grau, 2-cylinder Buick, 2nd automobile owned in Taylor,


pic 8147
Family, Taylor Public Library Collection


pic 8181
Jose & Dolores
Castro Family


pic 8180
Tenant Farm Family, Land Owner was Britt Family, from Camacho Collection

pic 8213
Otis Hatch and wife Ora Lee & Children


pic 8182
Helen Fuentes Castro 1889-1977, Taylor, Texas


pic 8184A
Helen & Baby Daughter Josefita Series, 1906-1907


pic 8190
Carlota Fuentes/Salazar Family, Mother's Day 1948
 



pic 8209
Daniel Camacho & Lorraine Castro Wedding Party


pic 8183
Frank Castro 1884

 


pic 8186
Frank Castro's child, Toby 1910

 


pic 8185
Frank Castro's children Lucille & Paul
 


pic 8188
Frank & Helen Castro 50th Wedding Anniversary


pic 8216
Don Hill, Mayor of Taylor, Texas


pic 9057
Moody Family and Residence
 


pic 8285Schwenker Family who had pharmacy in Taylor, : Lillie Schwenker, Emma Schwenker, Carrie Schwenker, Mrs. Henry Schwenker Sr., Sophie Schwenker,
Henry Schwenker Jr. and Henry Schwenker, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1918
 


pic 8321
Hatch Family l-r: Otis Hatch, Silvie Aldridge. Lucy Haywood, Leslie
Washington, Cliffore Hatch, Magarete Hatch, and Ora Lee Aldridge Hatch, ca. 1930,
Taylor, Texas


pic 8324
Marie Kohler Krieg in studio portrait, ca. 1896-1898. Photographer imprint: "City Gallery / W.C. Sprout / Taylor, Texas


pic 9026
Kroschewsky Cotton Gin, located north of Taylor, Texas on the Row Valley


pic 9070
"Fosters Steam Laundry", 201 E. Third St. ca. 1913

 


pic 9058
Moody Home in Taylor, Texas


pic 9059
I & GN Depot, later served as the Union Station, ca. 1876, left
background: I&GN shops where 50 workmen were employed.
 


pic 9060
Main Street of Taylor looking North, ca. 1880's


pic 9061
Main Street of Taylor, Texas, ca. 1880


pic 9062
Taylor Street Scene about 1906 [looking South], Fair Parade


pic 9063
Bledso House in Taylor, Texas

 


  also view more photos - page 1
also view Taylor Historical Buildings, churches and homes 
 



 

 

for more info click on
Taylor, Texas  by The Handbook of Texas Online

 

view Dedication Ceremony of Texas Historical Medallion at the
Preslar-Hewitt Building 321-323 N. Main St. Taylor, TX

 

Taylor Mustang Creek Country Club
a special thanks to the Community Impact news paper and By Susan Komandosky and Suzanne Haberman for this snap-shot of our history

 

           view The Taylor Brethren Church Historical Marker Dedication
                    click here to view the dedication ceremony

 

 

view more on the History of Taylor Texas

 

view The Blacklands

 

           view
           http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Taylor/Taylor_Texas.htm


 

view Taylor Main Street Wins National Approval pdf

 
click on thumbnail photo for enlarged view
 "a special credit to the Williamson County Sun for this story"
    

For a free PDF reader click here

Adobe Reader or here for Foxit

 




also view
Dr. James Dickey - One of Taylor's Leading Civil Leaders
               "a special credit to the Williamson County Sun for this story"

 

 

 

Historical Markers and Their History

 

also view Battle of Brushy Creek

also view Clark Mansion - Crawford H. Booth House

also view C.S.A. Cotton Cards Factory  

also view David H. Jerusha Dyches McFadin House

also view Doak Pavilion Site
also view Doak Home Historical Marker
also view Eikel-Prewitt Building
also view First Baptist Church
also view First Christian Church
also view First Presbyterian Church

also view Gardner-Lawhon Cemetery

also view Governor Dan Moody

also view  History Of The Taylor Public Schools

also view Hotel Blazilmar

also view Howard Bland Sr

also view Lawrence Chapel Cemetery

also view Luther Stearns Sr

also view Old Taylor City Hall Marker

also view Shiloh Baptist Church
also view St. James' Episcopal Church
also view Taylor Brethren Church

also view Taylor National Bank Building

also view Taylor Post Office

   also view Taylor, Texas City Hall Photos

  also view Tenth Street United Methodist Church
   also view Tex Avery

  also view  Tucker-Smith House

   also view Wedemeyer Sanitarium Site

  also view  Wilson Springs Cemetery

 

 

also view    www.texasescapes.com  

 
 

 


 

Taylor's beginnings are rooted in commerce:

 

The town was laid out by the Texas Land Company in anticipation of the coming of the railroad. It was originally named Taylor Station after a contemporary official of the International & Great Northern Railroad. Taylor Station was situated on a major cattle trail used by Texas ranchers to drive their stock to market. Within 60 days of the railroad reaching Taylor Station in 1876, 146 car loads of cattle were shipped north to market from this fledgling community.

 

The railroad brought other forms of commerce as well, and the town developed rapidly. Farmers arriving primarily from the Midwest and other southern states, soon discovered that the black land soil would support cotton. With the railroad at hand to ship the cotton to mills in the east, Taylor became the center of a thriving cotton trade.

 

A disastrous fire in 1879 destroyed most of the frame structures in the three-year-old town. Most of the burned-out buildings were replaced with the fine brick and stone structures that distinguish Taylor's appealing downtown to this day. Brisk trade in cattle and cotton brought stability, and a prosperous town took shape. Churches and private schools were established, and craftsmen and tradesmen set up shop in town to serve the flourishing farms and ranches.

 

In 1882, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad extended tracks to link it to the great Missouri Pacific system. Less than ten years after the frontier station on the open range began to attract residents. Taylor established a public school and community water works to pipe fresh water to homes and businesses in town.

 

The first National Bank was organized in 1883. As testimony to the favorable economic climate of the day, the bank's initial stock offering of $50,000 sold out in less than one hour.

 

Taylor has always placed a premium on quality of life in the community. In 1884, the city fathers opened a dog pound on the public square to encourage residents to be more responsible with their pets. A small boy was paid 25 cents for each stray dog he rounded up. The enterprising city Marshall then sold the dogs back to owners for $1 with a numbered brass dog tag. The city used revenues from the dog pound to complete a sewer system.

 

Although Taylor's rate of growth has slowed from its earliest days, the city has shown a steady increase in population, even though the population of the country as a whole declined between 1930 and 1970.

 


 

for more info and view images click on Taylor, Texas

 

view other communities pages