Williamson County
Historical Commission

contact Wayne Ware (512) 863-2202


Taylor, Texas
History - - est. 1876

 

 

Downtown Taylor, Texas in 1906, looking south. Taylor is the birthplace of several noted men including Bill Pickett, the black cowboy who invented bulldogging. Governor Dan Moody, also born in Taylor in 1893, first gained statewide recognition when he successfully prosecuted the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s. Elmer “Pet” Brown, the 1914 middleweight champion of the world was also a native of Taylor.

 

Courtesy of Taylor, Texas  Public Library

 



 

Photographic policies prohibit reproduction - please contact the Williamson Museum for reproduction rights. Your interests and the preservation of the materials will be assured by the observance of these policies and procedures.
To inquire about the use or purchase of any of these photographs please contact the museum at 512-943-1670



 


also view Historical images Page 2
also view Taylor Historical Buildings, Churches and Homes
 

 

click on thumbnail images for an enlarged view

 


image 1018
William Henry Pumphrey of Taylor attended the prestigious Peacock Military Institute about 1925. Pumphrey was a lifelong resident of Taylor.


image 1080
Taylor Parade, Fireman Racing Team from Granger, July 4, 1922


image 1103
Thompson Children on Hoxie Bridge


image 1140
Johns B. Pumphrey


image 1036
1930's Parade in Downtown Taylor, Texas


image 1055
Birdseye view of Taylor, Texas ca.1878, taken from water tower on Main St. looking West. rt. front: Raven Home, middle front: Negro House, left
front: Jim Threadgill Home [corner of 6th and Main], left center: Professor McMurrray's School and Sunday School [building with 5 windows]


image 1054
Pet Brown 1888-1923, World Middleweight Wrestling Champion


image 1110
Raymond Garrett, DVM in Taylor in 1964


image 1048
Ross Wilder & Family after returning from Doolittle Raid 1942


image 1051
Taylor Flyers In WW II


image 1056
Taylor Fire Trucks


image 1057
Flood of 1921, Looking South on Washburn St. Taylor Texas


image 1058
Flood of 1921, Looking West on Austin-Hutto Road, Taylor, Texas


image 3057
Kautz Store, Taylor, Festival ca. 1910's
 

  
         image 1049
Daniel J. Moody 1834-1910, father of Dan Moody Jr., Taylor, Texas. Commonly referred to as Judge Dan'l because of his position of Justice of the Peace. Moody had come to Taylor as a railroad agent to sell lots and start the town in 1876. He became its first Mayor and after holding an election, started Taylor's public school and served as Chairman of the School Board. In 1890 he married Nancy Elizabeth Robertson a Math teacher at the school. He enlarged the house her family had built 3 years before. Judge Moody lost all his money when the business in which he had invested went broke, so he started a dairy at their home in which his son, Dan, began working when he was 8 years old. They rented rooms to Taylor teachers and several times shared their home with family members who were recently married and would come and live with the Moodys for a few years. Judge Dan died in 1915, the year Dan, Jr. graduated from high school.
 


image 1050
Political Post with LBJ Signature Dated 1971
 


image 1172
4th of July Parade -Main Street in Taylor, Texas


image 3074
Street Scene


image 1175
A beautiful young Mexican American girl, Lorraine Castro was Queen of the Taylor DIEZ Y Seis Celebration in the 1930’s. In 1940 she married Daniel Camacho in Taylor, Texas
 


image 1203
Daniel Camacho & Lorraine Castro Wedding, Taylor, Texas, ca.1940


image 1204
Dr. J. L. Dickey,


image 8148
Wife of Dr. Dickey


image 3053
Dickey Medical Clinic, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1955, Founded by Dr. James Lee Dickey [1893-1959] who was Taylor's Outstanding Citizen in 1952 and on Time Magazine Cover, Jan 1953


image 1205
Dr. J. L. Dickey & wife, Magnolia & son James


image 2073
Trade Days in Taylor, Texas, street scene w/ many cars, ca. 1920's


image 2008
John & Fannie Robinson, Founder Members of AME Church, with the help of Rev. Atchelee.
 


image 2007
Francisco Castro driving his mule drawn trash wagon in downtown Taylor in the 1940’s. One of Taylor’s most popular businessmen, when he had to convert to tractor power, he did so reluctantly. He and his wife Helen Fuentes Castro raised five children in Taylor. Mr. Castro was the only trash collector for businesses in Taylor from 1935-1952.


image 3035
Dry Goods Store
 


image 2074
Barnstormer airplane at Gunnar Rydell Farm, NW of Taylor , Texas


image 2075
Youth Group Hayride w/ Horse Drawn Wagon, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1910's


image 2164
Two Ladies in Old Car


image 2076
Catholic Daughters of America in Parade in Imagekup, Taylor, Texas.


image 2077
1950's
Taylor 1950's Parade
2077 Horses & Carriage in Parade. Taylor, Texas, ca. 1910's


image 2078
Girl Scout Troop on Float in Christmas Parade, Taylor, Texas ca. 1955


image 2079
Old Car Decorated for Parade, July 4, 1909, Louise Grace, little girl in back seat, photo at 505 Washburn St., Taylor, Texas
 

   
          image 2080
" The 9 Vagabons Band" Taylor, Texas, ca. 1934, photo was taken for the dedication of "Longhorn Cavern". Carman Yanero-sax, Walter Beck-sax, Allen Klaus-trumpet, Bob Kautz-tenor sax/clarinet [was manager/director], Bob Hays-guitar, Walter Klaus-trombone, Carl Graupiano, Bill Frisch-drums, and Frank Westling- horn. The band was based in Taylor and played for masonic lodge, SPJST, etc., they played ballroom music. Band was formed in 1933 and lasted until 1940, with Bob Kautz and Carmen Yanero forming another band
 


image 2081
Gathering at the "Taylor Cafe", Taylor, Texas, ca. 1950's


image 2083
Lorraine Castro Camacho [sitting] as Diez y Seis Queen,
ca. 1930's


image 5040
God's Flowerland, Church Pagent, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1920's


image 2086
Nurses at Wedemeyer Hospital, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1920's, in car l-r: Mamie Rusch, Edna Ahlbright, Alemda Kelidorf, running board l-r: Ethel Sanders,
Selma Wolf, seated front l-r: Annie Schubert, Carrie Nelson Kerr, Elsie Storey, Schroeder, Savilla Modessett Lane, Annie Bohls


image 3041
Dry Goods Store, Taylor Texas

 


image 2087
4th of July, 1926 Beauty Pageant at Murphy Park Swimming Pool, Taylor


image 2088
Decorated Carriage for Taylor Fair Parade, Taylor, Texas ca. 1913


image 3050
Ed Hunke Bakery Wagon & Horses,
ca. 1890's

 


image 2101
Don Hill as Santa, Taylor, Texas
 


image 2155
Wm. Pipkin w/ Ben Hur Hat - Taylor, Texas


image 3022
Imperial Bakery in Taylor, Texas, at 204 1/2 Main St., Daniel C. Camacho and John Velecka, ca. 1942.
 


image 3042
Sturgis Goldstein Grocery, 2nd St., Taylor, Texas, ca. 1914
 


image 2165
Flo Kruger, at age 16, 4th of July Beauty Pageant, Taylor, Texas, ca. 1946


image 2158
Flo Kruger on cotton bale - 1940's


image 3036
Kautz Dry Goods Store, Taylor, Texas
 


image 3023
Ed Fuentes, in front of Fuentes Grocery Store, 319 Pine [Dickey], Sept 1939, One of the first Hispanic businesses in Taylor, Texas, ca. 1920, adjacent to his home.
 


image 3031
"Candy Jim's" Store, 303 N. Main St., Taylor, Texas, ca. 1910


image 3034
General Store, Taylor Texas, ca. 1910


image 3033
General Store w/ Buggies, Taylor,
Texas - 1920's


image 3046
Chief Brady, Central Barber Shop


image 3037
Grocery Store, R.A Kautz & Mother, Taylor, Texas


image 3038
Cotton Hauling Truck w/ Bales, from Seed Barn, south of Taylor, ca. 1920
 


image 3039
Ed Konarek Blacksmith Shop, South Main St., Taylor, Texas, left Ed Konauk, ca. 1919


image 3040
Marse & Husta Saloon, 113 North Main St. , Taylor, Texas ca. 1905


image 3049
Daily Democrat & Weekly Texan Newspaper, 4th & Talbot St. , Taylor,
Texas, ca. 1900's
 


image 3052
Texas Power & Light Substation on North Main, Taylor, Texas

 


image 3047
G.E. King's Mule Barn, D.U. Teaff's Wagon Yard, M.B. Norman [center
with mustache],
 ca. 1890's


image 3048
Waterworks & Taylor Ice Co. on East First St., Taylor, Texas, Taylor Ice. Co, Dan Murphy & George Burkitt started Taylor Waterworks & Ice Company, 1882-1883
 


image 3054
I & GN Railroad Station ca. 1911, laying pine blocks for street, Taylor Texas, Murphy Hotel on right


Howard Bland Sr. plaque

click on thumbnail images for an enlarged view

 


 

also view Historical images Page 2
also view Taylor Historical Buildings, Churches and Homes
 

 

for more info click on Taylor, Texas  by The Handbook of Texas Online


Taylor Mustang Creek Country Club
a special thanks to the Community Impact news paper and By Susan Komandosky and Suzanne Haberman for this snap-shot of our history

 

view Dedication Ceremony of Texas Historical Medallion at the
Preslar-Hewitt Building 321-323 N. Main St. Taylor, TX

 

        view  The Taylor Brethren Church Historical Marker Dedication
                   

 

view  more on the History of Taylor Texas

 

view The Blacklands

 

view http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Taylor/Taylor_Texas.htm

 



 

view Taylor Main Street Wins National Approval pdf

 
click on thumbnail photo for enlarged view
 "a special credit to the Williamson County Sun for this story"
    

For a free PDF reader click here

Adobe Reader or here for Foxit

 

 


also view Dr. James Dickey - One of Taylor's Leading Civil Leaders
             


 

 

 

  Historical Markers and Their History
  view links  
 
     Battle of Brushy Creek  
    Bill Pickett  
    Clark Mansion - Crawford H. Booth House
C.S.A. Cotton Cards Factory
David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House
 
    Doak"s Pavilion Site  
    Doak Home Historical Marker  
    Dr. James Dickey  
    Eikel-Prewitt Building
First Baptist Church
 
    First Christian Church
First Presbyterian Church
Gardner-Lawhon Cemetery
 
    Governor Dan Moody  
    History Of The Taylor Public Schools  
    Hotel Blazilmar  
    Howard Bland Sr
Immanuel Lutheran Church
Lawrence Chapel Cemetery
 
    Luther Stearns Sr  
    Old Taylor City Hall  
    St. James' Episcopal Church
Shiloh Baptist Church
Sloan (David) Home (in Circleville)
 
    Taylor Brethren Church  
    Taylor National Bank Building  
    Taylor Post Office  
    Taylor, Texas City Hall photos  
    Tenth Street United Methodist Church
Tex Avery
 
Turkey Creek School
    Tucker-Smith House
Wedemeyer Sanitarium Site
 
    Wilson Springs Cemetery  

    

  

also view    www.texasescapes.com  

 

 


 

Taylor's beginnings are rooted in commerce:
 

The town was laid out by the Texas Land Company in anticipation of the coming of the railroad. It was originally named Taylor Station after a contemporary official of the International & Great Northern Railroad. Taylor Station was situated on a major cattle trail used by Texas ranchers to drive their stock to market. Within 60 days of the railroad reaching Taylor Station in 1876, 146 car loads of cattle were shipped north to market from this fledgling community.

 

The railroad brought other forms of commerce as well, and the town developed rapidly. Farmers arriving primarily from the Midwest and other southern states, soon discovered that the black land soil would support cotton. With the railroad at hand to ship the cotton to mills in the east, Taylor became the center of a thriving cotton trade.

 

A disastrous fire in 1879 destroyed most of the frame structures in the three-year-old town. Most of the burned-out buildings were replaced with the fine brick and stone structures that distinguish Taylor's appealing downtown to this day. Brisk trade in cattle and cotton brought stability, and a prosperous town took shape. Churches and private schools were established, and craftsmen and tradesmen set up shop in town to serve the flourishing farms and ranches.

 

In 1882, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad extended tracks to link it to the great Missouri Pacific system. Less than ten years after the frontier station on the open range began to attract residents. Taylor established a public school and community water works to pipe fresh water to homes and businesses in town.

 

The first National Bank was organized in 1883. As testimony to the favorable economic climate of the day, the bank's initial stock offering of $50,000 sold out in less than one hour.

 

Taylor has always placed a premium on quality of life in the community. In 1884, the city fathers opened a dog pound on the public square to encourage residents to be more responsible with their pets. A small boy was paid 25 cents for each stray dog he rounded up. The enterprising city Marshall then sold the dogs back to owners for $1 with a numbered brass dog tag. The city used revenues from the dog pound to complete a sewer system.

 

Although Taylor's rate of growth has slowed from its earliest days, the city has shown a steady increase in population, even though the population of the country as a whole declined between 1930 and 1970.

 


 

 

view other communities pages