South Gabriel was first named Lewiston
South Gabriel, also known as Lewiston was a small
town on the south fork of the San Gabriel River on the boarder of
Williamson County and Burnet County at the very
western edge of the county line. When the railroad by-passed it in 1882, most of the businesses moving to the new town of Bertram just north in Burnet. Both towns were in Burnet County after that county was formed in 1852. Early records listed South Gabriel in Williamson County, including the post office granted that town September 29, 1871, with Thomas Lewiston, postmaster. Postal records show transferal to Burnet County soon afterwards. In 1888 Williamson County School Superintendent D. H. LeSueur had South Gabriel School on his itinerary of visits and the school remained on the Williamson County lists through 1892. It then disappeared briefly. In 1916 a school at the same location reappeared in the county records under the name Wil-Bur School, combining a portion of both county names.