Williamson County
Historical Commission

contact Wayne Ware (512) 863-2202


Shiloh Texas

SHILOH, TEXAS (Williamson County). Shiloh is at the intersection of Farm roads 112 and 486, twelve miles southeast of Taylor in southeastern Williamson County. In 1856 a Baptist church was founded not far from the site, and a schoolhouse, called Eckman School, was built near the church before 1892. The Eckman School had seventy-three pupils in 1903 and was consolidated with the Taylor system in 1949. The church was moved in 1908 to the present site of the community. Shiloh also had a store, which closed in the late 1960s. Shiloh Baptist Church received a historical marker in 1968. The community consisted of a church and a collection of scattered residences in 2000.

 

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Historical marker files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin (Shiloh Baptist Church) Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).




South from Hwy 79 (Hutto), on FM 1660, 1/16 to 1/8  mile past the Ray Elementary School on Swindoll rd  (just past  CR 137) to a gravel road RR 163 (no road sign), drive for abou1/4 mile around to cemetery located on a beautiful hill next to Brushy Creek (as you approach the hill bear to the left up the hill). GPS point at 163 road Latitude 30.514672 - Longitude -97.536836

 


 

click on image for an enlarged view

road map 1

 

road map 2

 

satellite map

 

view showing the 123 road

 

GPS Coordinates
Latitude: 30.501649 - Longitude: -97.535301

North 30o 30' 08.2" - West 097o 32' 06.7"

UTM 14 R - east 0640601 - north 3375148

 


 

view The Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery Association web site 

 

also view the Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery

 

 

Dedication of the
Texas historic Cemetery Marker
and
Republic of Texas Medallion Ceremony

In honor of

Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery

Hutto, Texas

and

William & Elisabeth Jane Harrell

McCutcheon

 

The Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery Association and The Daughters of the Republic of Texas would like to thank
you for coming to share in the dedication of this Texas Historic Cemetery Marker and the memorial medallions placed on William and Elizabeth Jane Harrell McCutcheon's headstone. It is an honor to our ancestors and the lives they lived.

 

 

 

Welcome from SMSA                    Faye Elder

Scripture Reading                        Martha Weber

Invocation                                   Joe C. Bean        

Pledge to the US flag

Pledge to the Texas flag

Introduction of guests                  Faye Elder

Greetings from County Historical Commission
By George Meyer

A history of the cemetery              Faye Elder

Unveiling of the marker  Family Members

Music                                          Lynn Crislip

Scripture Reading                        Martha Weber

Call to Remembrance                   Sylvia Kennedy

Bio William McCutcheon               Faye Elder

Bio Elizabeth Jane Harrell             Sylvia Kennedy

Texas Our Texas                          J Lynn Crislip

Unveiling of Medallions                 DRT

Placing of flags                            DRT— then family

Music                                          J Lynn Crislip

Remembrances                            Descendants

Closing Remarks                          Clinton McCutcheon

Benediction                                 Joe C. Bean

 

click on image for an enlarged view




Marker Text
Shiloh–McCutcheon Cemetery

The community of Shiloh dates from 1848, when both Nelson Morey and Josiah Taylor established stores in the area. Shiloh spread along the banks of Bushy Creek new Wilbarger Crossing which was later called Shiloh Crossing and Rogan Crossing. The community consisted of a school, a church, two stores and a few Residents who lived along Brushy Creek.


Shiloh McCutcheon Cemetery sits on part of the original grant of 1852 acres issued to the heirs of William Gatlin because of his participation in the Texas Army during the Revolution of 1835-1836. The first recorded burial is that of Josiah Kuykendall, who became ill with smallpox after a traveler spent the night at his home. His brother and neighbor, Mark Kuykendall, came to care for Josiah during his illness, but became ill himself. Both brothers died from the disease and were buried in the cemetery in 1853.

The property was not officially deeded as a cemetery until February 1890, when William McCutcheon deeded land to three cemetery trustees, F. F. Farley, Green Randolph, and William Rogan. William McCutcheon and his wife Elizabeth Jane and 6 of their thirteen children are buried here. Through the years, the burial ground has also been known as Shiloh, Old Shiloh or McCutcheon Cemetery. Burials at the site include veterans of the Texas revolution, Civil War, World War I, World War II. Due to the density of burials, interments are now restricted to the ashes of descendants of those already interred at the site.


Historic Texas Cemetery-1995
Marker is Property of the State of Texas



view The Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery Association web site 

 

also view the Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery


view the brief on the Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery