Liberty Hill, Teaxs
this cemetery is among serveral cemeteires located on
CR-236 between CR-208 and CR207
view map layout
click on images for
an enlarged view
road map - 1
road map -2
satellite map -1
satellite map -2
(note there are serveral cemteries at that location - view map layout)
Latitude: 30.783967 - Longitude: -97.921625
view interment listing
Historical Background Mather Family Cemetery
The following summaries the enclosed compilation on our family history:
 Samuel Mather was born in North Umbria, Scotland on October 8, 1812. He immigrated to first Canada and then America. In February, 1850, Samuel moved his family to Williamson County, Texas and bought a league of land on the North Fork of the San Gabriel River from Thomas E Rowe (the original John Carothers league).
 The first Mather home was a dugout in the banks of the North San Gabriel river. It was there that Andrew Mather was born June 11, 1851.
 The area where Samuel and his family settled came to be known as Gabriel Mills. In 1852 Sam set up a blacksmith shop and a grist mill. His mill was operated by water power until it converted to steam power in 1862. Later he operated the local general store. Sam's blacksmith shop serviced the Texas Rangers and, according to Texas historical writer, J Frank Dobie, fashioned silver ore for the Comanche Indians. He was recorded as Postmaster of the Gabriel Mills area.
 Sam is also credited for helping to establish the Mount Horeb Masonic Lodge No. 17 in the area.
 The original pioneer log cabin built and used by Sam and his family was found and relocated to Georgetown in 1975. It has since been moved to the Round Rock Old Settlers Park.
Sam donated 37 acres for land for a cemetery which became known as Scheyli Cemetery (See map of Williamson County Cemeteries). Sam moved on and was later buried in New Braunfels, Texas. Sam's son Andrew stayed in Williamson County.
 Andrew Mather is reported to have been one of the first recorded births in Williamson County. As a boy he worked with his father at the grain mill. When he was in his teens, he worked cattle drives. When he was 22, he joined the Texas Rangers, one of only a few Rangers who could claim to be Texas born. At 22 he was 6'4" and 250 pounds. He was a crack shot and introduced the "needle nosed" shotgun to the rangers. He rose to the rank of Sergeant.
Andy married Mary Ellender Victoria Carrell, whose mother was part Indian. They had three sons, the two surviving being Robert Lee Mather and Chaney Parker Mather.
 J Frank Dobie, the celebrated historian on the southwest, met with Andy after his retirement and wrote of him and his father, Samuel, in several of his books. Andy was documented by text and photo as being friends with William F "Buffalo Bill" Cody.
Andy and Mary Ellen are buried within 100 yards of the dugout where Andy was born. This is now the Mather Family Cemetery.
Andy's son Robert Lee Mather was born on the Mather homestead and died there. He attended the Concord School, a one-room school house located on nearby Clear Creek until he exceed their grade level and rode his horse into Bertram to finish thru the 9th grade.
Lee married Ida Pearl Whitehead. Ida was born on the Elliot Place, across the road from the current Buck Cemetery. Her mother, Maryland Carolina Isbell Reese Whitehead was one-quarter Sioux Indian and Dutch descent. Her father, William Thomas Duge Whitehead was of Cherokee and Irish descent. Ida's sister Maggie married Lee's brother, Charley.
Charley Mather and his wife Maggie had two daughters, one who died in childhood and is buried at the Mather Family Cemetery. Charley was famous for his collection of Indian artifacts.
Lee and Ida had 10 children, 8 of whom survived to adulthood.
All of the Mather children went to the Concord School. All remained in the area and made their living off the land in the Gabriel Mills area. Huldy (Charley Lindell) and Grady Mather are credited with building many of the early fences in Williamson County. Huldy went on to play professional baseball for a short time.
The following Mather descendants are buried in the Mather Family Cemetery.
Andrew Mather (6/11/1851-7/23/1929)
Mary Ellender Victoria Carrell Mather (2/28/1851-4/21/1923), wife
Robert Lee Mather (1 /18/1880-8/27/1945)
Ida Pearl Whitehead Mather (4/m554 -1/2/1959), wife
Vera Leona Mather (3/17/1905-12/2/1908), daughter of Charley Mather
The following Mather children of Lee and Ida are buried at the Mather Family Cemetery, with the youngest dying just this year (2006).
Jackson Poncho Mather (1/4/02-4/23/30 and wife, Lula Lentz Mather (8/17/03-4/11/83) Douglas Mather (11/27/1922-9/27/1944), son, killed in WWII at St. Lo, France Gary Douglas Mather (1 /1/1956 -1/2/1956), infant grandson
John Christopher Patton (10/29/1980-12/6/1990, great grandson
Clara Alma Mather Long (2/16/1905 -11/4/1996)
Wayne Browning (5/28/1930-12/27/1995), son-in-law, Korean Veteran Kimberly Dawn Dayton George (7/13/1960-4/29/1991), great granddaughter
Charley Lindell (Huldy) Mather (3/1/05-11/25/1993) and wife, May Ozell (Rexie) Duncan Mather (5/2/1912 - 9/20/2003)
Letha Jo Mather Havins (11/25/1934-102r2000), daughter, and husband Willie
Patsy Ann Mather Gray (10/4/1942 - 3/12/1999), daughter
Freddie Mather (10/14/1909 -10/27/1909), infant son
Sugar Babe Mather (2/16/1918 - 2/17/1918), infant daughter
Grady Mather (9/23/1915 - 9/8/1982)
Polly Glosson (6/4/1915 -11/5/1946), wife
Nina Jewell Mather Baker (5/5/1919- 2/17/2006)
Two other Mather children are not buried in this cemetery. They are: Muriel Mather Brown and Beulah Mather Duncan Dean.
Mary Ellender Mather's mother, Mrs. Nancy Marcus (4/4/1827 - 5/27/1907) is buried here also.
Also buried in the cemetery are three of the Bertram Family. Permission for this burial was given by Andrew Mather and his later family did not know these folks.
Victor Bertram (7/15/1838-9/30/1913)
John Etta Bertram (3/17/1859-8/7/1941), wife Richard Bertram (4/22/1888-3/11/1899), son
More current graves in the Cemetery include:
Creeda McPherson Brown (8/23/1935-12/4/2003), daughter-in-law of Murel Mather Brown
Kathrine Hyden Brown (11/4/1958-12/12m), granddaughter-in-law of Murel
And from the Samuel Welborn Mather (1864-1935) branch, brother of Andrew Thomas P Mather (5/28/1957-5/28/1999), grandson of Samuel W. Mather Nola E Mather (4/29/1929-12/1/1991), daughter in law of Sam W Mather
Judith E Lavery (8/7/1950-11/4/1998), step granddaughter of Sam W Mather
Bicentennial Commission to be moved into town and restored. An agreement was reached and plans were made for the move,. M. Clara Scarbrough, Bicentennial Heritage Committee chainman, and students from industrial cooperative training classes of Georgetown High School numbered and photographed the logs, and on January 11, 1975, the same classes with the aid of a City of Georgetown truck, moved the Logo to town. The new site bon the cabin was selected at the corner of Austin Avenue and 16th Street on property owned by the City 0f Georgetown and maintained by Georgetown Lions Club and a half-block recreational area. Although the original cabin stood on un-mortared rock footings, a mote substantial foundation was made.
planned. Concrete footings were set £n the ground up to ground level, and the original /cock piers were set on top. The cabin .toga have been treated several times with preservative, as has the wood-shingle roof. The City 06 Georgetown now owns the building and .La responsible for its upkeep.
Besides the early roles of the cabin as a home and probabty a school-church-lodge meeting house, since its move it has served as a training laboratory for the industrial classes who have studied techniques of construction and restoration of such a cabin and who have volunteered most of the labors involved in the restoration. The major exception is the stone chimney which was moved and restored by a competent stone mason. The cabin is now in excellent condition, is a fine example of pioneer log rooms and is located where other historic buildings could be placed nearby. It can also be utilized on special occasions as a meeting place for small groups.
The Georgetown Bicentennial Commission
wishes to commemorate this cabin whose history is closely tied
to a distinguished pioneer, Samuel Mather, because it represents
a typical pioneer log building, used either as school and church as a a home in the 1850s and because
it is now located where it can be seen and appreciated as a
remnant of the past. (It's now located in the Round Rock Old
Settlers Park - -)
view other Liberty Hill pages
Liberty Hill, Texas