Williamson County
Historical Commission

 


Liberty Hill,
Texas History
est. 1840s

Population: 1,477 (2004)

 

Hispanic children in front of a John Deere tractor. Liberty Hill and Andice support a large and active Hispanic population. Today, Hispanics comprise 17% of the county’s population.

 

Courtesy of Chris Osuna

 

 

 

 

Photographic policies prohibit reproduction - please contact the Williamson museum for reproduction rights. Your interests and the preservation of the materials will be assured by the observance of these policies and procedures.
To inquire about the use or purchase of any of these photographs please contact the museum at 512-943-1670.

 

 



 

view Historical Markers in Liberty Hill

 

View Cemeteries



 

 

click on thumbnail images for an enlarged view


image 1040
Soloman and Elizabeth Neterland, ca. 1862, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 1043
J. and S. Vickers, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 1044
John T. Bryson, died 1894, great grandfather of John Logan Bryson
 


image 1045
John W. Bryson in WWI Uniform 1894-1952


image 1188
W.W. Mauldin and wife Mary Catherine Bittick, photo ca. 1876, Liberty
Hill, Texas


image 1189
Jinsy and Jonathan Bittick, came to Liberty Hill, Texas, ca. 1840's, photo ca. 1850's
 


image 1190
Annie Mauldin, ca. 1894, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2046
Three Men on Horses, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2047
Four Kids on a Horse, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2056
Two ladies sitting on big rock in river, 1928
 


image 2048
Grandma Vaughan and kids Chester, Howard, Marie, and Hershall, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2054
Slumber Party & Sunrise Breakfast on South San Gabriel River. 3rd from left: Frances McFarland of Liberty Hill, Texas ca. 1030's


image 2055
"Trying to keep awake after sleepless night" [Slumber Party] by playing leap frog. Taken on San Gabriel River near Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2058
Mary Atkinson [on left] of Liberty Hill, Texas on horse near South San Gabriel River, ca. 1930


image 2060
Pulling boat across South San Gabriel River on a wire, 2nd left is Frances
McFarland of Liberty Hill, Texas, ca. 1930's
 


image 2062
Family & Flowers on Front Porch, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2064
Liberty Hill Concert Band, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 2071
Bethel Baker, son of Robert Zebulon Baker and Minerva Ellen "Bea" Swindle Baker. He was one of two boys and nine girls in the family. Bethel Baker married Leah Landry in the late 1920's. They had no children, but dozens of nieces and nephews. He farmed the family farm [the Baker Place] of about 200 acres on the North San Gabriel River between Andice and Liberty Hill until 1956 when the Great Drought of the 1950's reached its climax. He was not able to make a crop in over two years. Until the end, he farmed with mules. His father had told him that he thought the tractors were not good for the soil.


image 3024
Crew and mules working in stone quarry


image 3025
Potts-Connel Co. General Store


image 3026
Olia Overton Perry
O.O. Perry Store, previously the Stubblefield Store. Liberty Hill, Texas


image 3029
Early Telephone Switch Board and Operator, Annie Hunt Millard

 


image 3028
Miller Stubblefield in the back of W. O. Stubblefield Store, Liberty Hill,
Texas, ca. 1914-1920


image 4008
Five men outdoors, Liberty Hill,Texas


image 5028
site of the Methodist Church - Liberty Hill United Methodist Church is still holding services in that same building. built 1870. This church was the first church within Liberty Hill. In 1905 there was a fire which destroyed the top two floors.

 


image 5029
Parade of Young People, Liberty Hill, Texas
 


image 5030
Parade of Young People, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 5031
Bethel Baker being baptized by Franklin Baker, minister, in San Gabriel River, Williamson County, Texas


image 6031
Liberty Hill School Class, 1922.


image 6032
Grammar School 1920-1921


image 6034
Silent Grove School, north of Liberty Hill, 1895


image 6035
Liberty Hill School, ca. 1900. Building burned in 1903
 


image 6036
Liberty Hill Normal
& Business College, 1890's


image 8086
Portrait of Man & Women from Vaughan Collection


image 8087
Large Musical Group, Liberty Hill, Texas, ca. 1894


image 8088
Nine Children in Yard, ca.1915, from Bates Collection
 


image 8089
School Group. Liberty Hill, Texas, from the Bates Collection


image 8091
Howard Vaughan and Hershall Vaughan ca. 1919,


image 8092
Frances McFarland Vaughan with dolls in rocker
 


image 8093
Four Young
Men, from the Bates Collection


image 8094
McFarland Family, from the Bates Collection


image 8095
Jim Vaughan, Liberty Hill, Texas
 


image 8096
Six Young Ladies, Mary Hickman far right, from the Bates Collection


image 8097
Hickman Family, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 8098
James Vaughan as a baby, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 8107
Charles Vickers Family, ca. 1900


image 8109
Carl Earl Vickers and Nancy Piper-Wedding Photo.
 


image 8110
Sarah Netherland Vickers, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 8111
Betty Otella Maxwell, ca. 1904, Liberty Hill
 


image 8112
Vickers Family. ca. 1913


image 8113
Charles James Vickers ca. 1910 and his dog


image 8114
Rebecca W. Fielder, ca. 1880


image 8115
Fannie Selena Fielder Vickers, ca. 1900
 


image 8116
Mary Jane Netterland Vickers, ca. 1852, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 8117
Man & Women


image 8118
Women & Child


image 8119
Boy


image 8120
Young Boy


image 8123
Mrs Martha Spivey Temple and grandchildren, ca 1894, front l-r: Beulah Reed, Annie Mauldin, Gimsy Spivey, Ether Baker, back l-r: Minnie Blamdelt, Effie Steward, Lucille Standard, all born and buried in Liberty Hill, Texas
 


image 8135
Baccalaurate Sunday ca. 1928, Liberty Hill, Texas, front row, 2nd from right: May Kavanaugh, Valdictorian,


image 8136
Family Group


image 8137
Miller Stubblefield, Liberty Hill, Texas


image 8138
Adam C. Miller and wife, ca. 1912-1914, San Gabriel Area, near Liberty Hill, Texas


image 9035
Poole House, Lon T. McFarland, they moved in during 1914


     



 

Historical Markers

 

Bryson Stagecoach Stop Marker

Manuel Flores Marker

Rock House Community Marker

John G. Matthews
John Giles Matthews Pioneer Home

Connell Cemetery

Site of Concord School
Williams Buck Cemetery

William Oliver Spencer

Dog Run Log Cabin

 

view Union Hall Community

 

Liberty Hill Cemeteries

 

view more Historical Markers in Liberty Hill

 

 

 


Links of interest

Liberty Hill, Williamson County, Texas Home Page
Early-Day Texas History
Liberty Hill Settlement in the 1850's
History of the Liberty Hill Stage Coach Stop (1852)
Liberty Hill -Then and Now
The Founding of New Liberty Hill (1882)
Historic Liberty Hill Cemetery Listing.


view
 Liberty Hill
, Texas 
by The Handbook of Texas Online

 

http://www.forttumbleweed.net/libertyhill.html

 

view all Historical Markers in Liberty Hill

 


 

  Roads, Romances And Religion a
(a snap shot of early Liberty Hill History)
by Pete Shady.

Sometime in the very late 1860's, while all of the Southern States east of Texas were still in the horrible reconstruction period, there began a new tempo in the western movement. One wagon road from the Lampasas area converged with a similar road that came from Burnet by South Gabriel. This point of convergence was almost exactly three miles east of where the Rev. W. 0. Spencer was conducting the first Liberty Hill post office. The Reverend Spencer was not only a good man, he was a thinking man. He envisioned the establishment of a stage inn at this junction of these feeder roads on their way to Austin. He took several prospective views of the potential future build up of two stage coach lines, diverging at this point and going to Lampasas and Burnet. On the return, go on to Austin. After much serious meditation, he cast the die. He sold his farm to Mr. Covington Parks. Purchased five acres of land east of this juncture. He built a big house and a still bigger barn. The house was to become a
stage coach

stop or Inn. The big barn housed the several teams of horses and mules as well as the equipment necessary for this double traffic stage coach lines. The adventure paid off. Other people took notice of this popular point. One of them was John T. Bryson, my Granddad. He saw a greater future for his log-combine of Methodist Church and school house, at or near this popular junction. Also about this time "My Fabulous Uncle Tom Snyder," had wed the black eyed sweetheart, that he went by the Greenwood Academy in Round Rock to kiss goodbye, on his way to Vicksburg to join the losing cause. And this beautiful bride just happened to be one of the four daughters of John T. Bryson. Also the fact that Snyder with his two brothers had amassed a quick fortune during and after the war, in the cattle trailing kingdom. And this up and going son-in-law had just purchased quite a spread: the extreme west point of which, was just a few hundred feet east of the popular junction. Uncle Tom was a public praying Methodist in his own rights. My dad was the leading tune pitcher in the area; so this close combo, decided to build a big new church. Snyder furnished the land and a big stack of gold to construct the three story building.

The church was on the first floor, the school on the second and the Masonic Lodge took over the third. This popular point drew considerable outside interest. Other merchants moved in and built homes and store buildings. One of the first permanent store structures was built by Mr. S. P. Stubblefield. It was a two story building and is in use today. Miles and Cates put up a two story stone building on the east side. They left one vacant lot between them and Stubblefield's building to provide for a side street. Captain D. V. Grant, perhaps an ex-rebel, built a stone building facing the Miles and Cates building. The Monroe brothers, John and Collin came indirectly from bonny old Scotland. John built a semi-colonial home on the west side facing the stage coach Inn. It is still well preserved. Then he went up on the next block and constructed a two story building and ran a hardware store there for the rest of his life. His brother, Collin was a blacksmith. He built a big shop along the side of John's store. It was set deep in the lot. Those canny Scotts took a sober and sane view of the future. Collin left the big lot (parking) out front so his customers would have a place for their wagons and teams, while they waited. A Mr. Cox built a big rock house on the west side and across the side street from Grant's. My-uncle Noble Bryson purchased it and lived there till his death. It was a combination of residence and store. Other buildings were added until there was a solid two block main street in Liberty Hill. Spencer's thriving combination demanded all of his spare time.

He gave up the post office to Mr. J. G. Ward.

During the late seventies there were many rumors about a prospective railroad being built from Austin to Burnet. These rumors became facts in 1881 when the construction began. The wise Spencer foresaw, the complete failure of the stage coach business when the first train made a round trip from Austin to Burnet. The surveyors who planned the route of the this new railroad did not completely bypass Liberty Hill as they did Bagdad. It cut right into the Snyder spread about half way between the church and the big home and cotton gin he had just completed.

Spencer kept the Inn, anticipating a boom business as the new railroad approached and passed through. In this respect he was due for a surprise, here was a romance that ended in a wedding that set heads to thinking and tongues to wagging.

One of the very first member of the railroad personnel to apply for a room and board at the Inn, was none other than the big swashbuckling tough boss, Mr. Mike Hurley himself. His outside tough shell melted into a soft pliable purr, when he first laid eyes upon the charming and beautiful Lizze Spencer. In spite of the fact that he was a native of Ireland; and the Catholic faith had been welded into his should and mind, thru his ancestors, for hundreds of years; he was head over heels and heart in love with this beautiful daughter of a Baptist minister. As a lover he was a "Ret Butler," as a worker and driver of men, he was a combination of Simon LaGree and a Roman dualist. Just before sundown on the last day of the specified time for completing this construction contract, he drove home the very last spike with a huge hammer. Within a few weeks he was at the Spencer house, where a Baptist minister, John Arbuckle, with all of the rituals of his church. united the beautiful Miss Spencer to the rough and ready Mike Hurley. The leopard's spots broke out all over the mighty Mike. Then he rushed his bride in a special car, to Austin where a Catholic Priest, tied a double bow knot, in their wedding band. They lived a long happy life together in Fort Worth, Texas.

Two interesting sequel, were created during and after this variegated episode. One could be classified as humorous. The other, a complex legal entanglement.

During the very height of the romance; a black mare belonging to my father, dropped a foal in his barnyard. It was an enormous big black mule colt. Dad named him "Hurley." The other, the land Snyder granted or sold to the railroad company, was specified as being for the purpose of erecting and maintaining a depot and its retinue. They abandoned it. Now who does it belong to? Would the cost of the transfer back to the Snyder estate, be more than the value of the land?

Thanks,
Pete Shady.
 

 


 

 

view other communities pages