THE BIRTH OF A CHURCH
There was no church, no altar, just a "Glory Road" to
follow and a small group of courageous people believing and
feeling the need of a place to worship God.
A Methodist Church for Granger, that was to be and now is The
First United Methodist Church, was born in 1683.
The first meeting place was in a school house in Granger,
Williamson County, Texas. Six years later, in 1889, the members
built their first church building, a small frame structure
located on the northeast corner of Willis and Broadway Streets,
under the pastorate of H. A. Boaz, who later became a Bishop.
Fred Tegge, Sr. was among the thirteen charter members who
organized the church and his daughter, Mrs. Hattie Pope, has
been an active member for the past 74 years.
T.H. Norwood served as the first minister of the Granger charge
for the year 1883-84 under the presiding Bishop, H. N. McTyeire.
The need for a larger place of worship resulted in the purchase
of five lots on which the present church was built. Located on
the southeast corner of Elm and Granger streets in block 18 lots
number 11-12-13-14-15 were bought from W. W.W. McDaniel and wife
Francis, and Ralph McDaniel and wife Jennie for the sum of
$1,500.00. The warranty deed was recorded in volume 112, pages
1--3 inclusive at the courthouse in Georgetown, Williamson
County, Texas on February 26,1904 , during the ministry of A.L.
Moore. At this time the church trustees were J.J. Parmele, J.D.
Campbell, S.A. Scott, J.H. Pennington and W.A. Miller. A
specific date is not known when the new building was started or
completed, but the late J.J. Barry was in charge of the
Due to a vast increase in membership, by the year 1916 ,the
architecture of the sanctuary was changed by the addition of two
balconies. Later ,a tabernacle that had been built east of the
church and used for 'Old Fashion Revival Meetings’ , was razed
and the lumber was used for improvements to the church. This
addition is now referred to as the Annex and accommodates the
church school classes, and a meeting place for the Women's
Society of Christian Service. Before the Annex, that includes
kitchen and bathroom facilities was built in 1929, an office and
primary room has been added to the original building. Pine wood
was the primary material used in the construction , cedar
shingles, and oak in the interior. The dimensions of the entire
building are now 58 by 52 feet.
The sanctuary is very restful in its simple beauty, with muted
reflections of light from three circles and four full length
stained glass windows, one being in memory of C.N. Eans. Over
one of the entrances is the half circle stained 'glass that
bears the name of the church , Methodist Episcopal Church South
at the time it was built. In 1939 the name was changed to First
Methodist by the Uniting Conference. Almost every furnishing
necessary for the worship of God have been memorials of the
faithful Christian families whose vision was never dimmed down
through the years.
This First Methodist Church, some years a full time charge,
others on a circuit has always been in the Georgetown or Temple
District of the Central Texas Conference. Since The Methodist
Church merged with The Evangical United Brethren in April 1968,
she now bears the new name THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.