by Wayne A. Munson 7-12-06
The Brushy Area was one of
the first colonies in Texas settled by Swedish
immigrants in the 1870's. The Swedes brought with them
expertise in agriculture which they pursued by farming
on the rich black land in this area.
Following several years of
worshiping in homes and a schoolhouse the need for a
centralized church resulted in the purchase of land at
the current cemetery site; a noted crossroads between
Georgetown and Round Rock, currently known as Rabbit
Hill Road (FM 1460) and Westinghouse Road (County Road
111). Two (2) acres located in the southeast corner of
the John J. Dimmitt farm were purchased on March 28,1882
(see enclosed Quitclaim Deed) upon which a small frame
church was built for use by the Brushy Swedish Methodist
congregation which had been organized by Pastor C. C.
Charnquist. Shortly thereafter a parsonage and barn were
also built, a cistern dug, and a peach orchard planted.
The first of many of the original settlers and their
descendents were buried on the hill on the western-most
portion of the property. The oldest known gravesite in
the cemetery is that of the infant daughter of C. J.
Monson. Her date of death noted on the grave monument is
October 1881. C. J. Monson was one (1) of the (17)
charter members of the Brushy Swedish Methodist
congregation. This historical area is maintained as
Section I of the cemetery with gravesites no longer
In 1902 property was
purchased in Georgetown, Texas and a parsonage built. A
sanctuary was completed in 1906 at which time the
original church at this site was sold and removed from
the property. The church in Georgetown ultimately became
named the St. John's United Methodist Church with the
cemetery named St. John's Cemetery.
The cemetery was officially
separated from the church on January 1, 1984 with its
operation coming under the newly formed St. John's
Cemetery Association. Initially membership in the church
was required for cemetery use but later it became an
interdenominational, inter-racial, public cemetery with
about 275 known gravesites as of this date.
The cemetery is the final
resting place of veterans of both world wars and other