click on thumbnail image for an enlarged view
801 Main Street
(on the square downtown Georgetown)
30.63647 by Longitude:
UTM Zone: 14
Easting: 0626820 - Northing: 3389854
Associated with Texas pioneers, businessmen, statesmen,
writers. Erected 1901 as a hotel by P.H. Dimmitt & Co.
Later occupied by mercantile stores -- meeting place for
families and friends from Williamson County communities.
Georgetown's first movie house, then auto agency; later
a drug store, dental office, bus depot. Remodeled 1960
by Georgetown Savings & Loan Association, preserving
Spanish arches, columns, and turrets of native stone.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Dimmitt - Old Building
Brief history of Georgetown savings and loan association
The present Georgetown Savings and Loan Association
Building was erected in 1901 by P. H. Dimmitt. It was
designed with the purpose of making it into a hotel, but
these plans never materialized. It was then known as the
P. H. Dimmitt and Company Building.
The first occupants of the building were retail stores.
The smaller of the two shops was a millinery shop and
occupied the space now occupied by Attorneys McClain and
Stump. The larger portion of the building was occupied
by a dry goods store called the "Good Luck Store". The
store was operated by Georgetown pioneer W. F. Magee and
served the entire surrounding area from Round Rock on
the South to Jarrell on the north and from Liberty Hill
in the west to Jonah on the east. The "Good Luck Store"
was the meeting place and supply house for the community
pioneers and their children.
Following the days of the "Good Luck Store" and as the
community expanded and specialized, in the late 1920's,
the motion picture made its debut in Georgetown. A
special floor was built in the building sloping from the
front up to the back. A motion picture screen was
installed in the front and the Keystone Cops came to
Georgetown. Mr. Byron Atkinson operated the motion
picture concession for about 2 years before abandoning
W. F. Magee returned to the site and joined Albert
Towns. They merged their talents and opened one of the
Central Texas earliest Buick automobile agencies. Mr.
Magee sold the autos and ran the office while Mr. Towns
acted as mechanic and ran the shop portion.
In the 1930's Tommy Cooper moved into the structure and
remodeled it to house Cooper's Drug, later to be known
as Cooper's Walgreen Drug. Cooper not only filled
prescriptions and jerked sodas but opened Georgetown's
first bus station for Greyhound buses. Thus travelers
from far and wide visited the building.
Behind Cooper's Drug, Dr. Walter Martin opened his
dental office and operated from that office until his
Cooper's Drug saw many men and youngsters pass through
and sip sodas on their way to fame and fortune.
President Lyndon B. Johnson, during his early campaigns
and political rise, shook many hands in Cooper's Drug
and on the corner nearby.
Senator John Tower spent moments of leisure in the
booths and at the counters, perhaps giving little
serious thought to his future in politics.
Internationally famous western author, J. Frank Dobie
visited in the building often and swapped stories of
tales of the west.
In the 1950's Cooper's Drug closed its doors and shut in
the memories of the past and of the people who were
building a strong central Texas.
In 1960, W. Grogan Lord leased the building from Mrs.
Lilburn Douglass, a Dimmitt heir, and remodeled the
interior. Since 1901 the exterior had remained the same
and it was Mr. Lord's desire and intention to retain the
beauty of the early architecture and the comforting
sight which the community had come to know as one of the
city's lasting landmarks.
Today the exterior retains the old fashioned archway and
column architectural charm, yet set back under these
archways is the gleaming beauty of modern design with
its enormous floor to ceiling plate glass windows and
the soothing display of mahogany paneled walls in the
central heated and air conditioned interior.
Operating from the building today are Georgetown Savings
and Loan Association, an association only 9 years
younger than the building itself, and Texas Capital
Corporation, a finance company more than a half century
younger than the structure.
From "Good Luck Store" to picture show to auto agency to
drug store and bus station to its today's financial
corporations, the building has been one recognized as a
place where service has been rendered to Texans. It has
been the Southeast corner of the square, thus making up
a major part of the face of Georgetown. It was and
remains a landmark not easily forgotten by Texans.
Historical Markers in Georgetown
Historical Markers in Williamson County