Williamson County
Historical Commission


Tour of the old Williamson County Jail    

The Williamson County jail was located on the east lawn of the Williamson County Courthouse until October 1888. The new jail, located at 312 Main Street, began accepting prisoners in January 1889.

The old county jail was not attached to the courthouse. It was a free-standing building on the east side of the courthouse lawn. Shown below is the 1885 Sandborn Insurance map showing the location of the jail. While it was located close to the courthouse, it was not attached. It did have a fence which encircled the building and its yard which may have attached to the courthouse in some way.  

Click on thumbnail for enlarged view  

The old jail was closed in October 1888 and the prisoners moved to the Travis County jail because of frequent jail breaks. The jail on Main Street was approved for construction during the county commissioners' court session on January 3, 1888. It's funding - contrary to what appears on the state historical marker - was through the sale of bonds. The land for the jail site was David Love's wagon yard which was purchased through the donation of funds by prominent Williamson County residents. The new jail was accepted by the county commissioners in January 1889 and prisoners began to be housed there.

see Building a New County Jail in 1888 - PDF file


 view PDF of the write up from the "Williamson County Sun"
    "special credit to the Williamson County Sun for this story"
     if you don't have a copy of Adobe PDF Reader go to  
    Get Adobe Reader

A special thanks to the Community Impact news paper and
Samantha Bryant for this slice of history of Williamson Couty.

Old Williamson County Jail


 view images of the old jail and it's  interior  -
click on images for an enlarged view

note fence around the
exercise area  

as of 2005

as of 2005



tour 2005


window - note lattice for ventilation
(the jail had no air Conditioning)


check out book

view windows

inside cell

restraining chains

out side cell
bull walk

door locking

going inside cell

    cell bunks
  checker board







   view other Williamson County history pages