Williamson County
Historical Commission

 


Historical Plaques on the Williamson County Courthouse

 


 - click image for an enlarged view

            
   
 

1936 centennial marker


Williamson County Courthouse
view Historic Georgetown Square

view  Our County Courthouse


  Marker Text:

Created March 13, 1848, and organized by a special committee approved by Gov. George T. Wood and the 2nd Legislature of the State of Texas, with Georgetown designated as county seat. The county was named for Robert McAlpin Williamson (nicknamed "Three-Legged Willie", because of his pegleg), a veteran of Battle of San Jacinto, and one of the original members of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Texas. Lying in the Brazos River watershed and in basin of San Gabriel River, county has widely varied soils of blackland, limestone, and prairie types. Before the creation of Williamson County, settlements were situated at Tumlinson's Fort, Kenney's Fort, and other locations. Early mills made lumber, flour, and cloth. Southwestern University, heir to charter granted by the Republic of Texas in 1840 to Rutersville College, was established in Georgetown in 1877. Settlers were mainly of Anglo-American, Czech, German, Mexican, and Swedish ethnic groups. Eight incorporated towns and many smaller communities have developed. Population increased to 38,000 (with 15,000 registered voters) by 1970. This courthouse -- built in 1910 at cost of $96,000 -- is the third for the county. C.H. Page was architect. (1970) Supplemental plaque: African Americans, the largest ethnic group among pioneer settlers, comprised ten percent of the county's population in 1850 and more than nineteen percent by 1860.

view

Historical Narrative by Clara S. Scarbrough 1980

 

 


   

   
 
  John Edward Hickman

Judge Greenleaf Fisk
   
                                                                                   
 


 
Robert J Rivers

Historical Marker - Georgetown, Texas

 


click on thumbnail image for an enlarged view
west side courthouse grounds
(on the square)



 


Harry L. Gold

this statue and marker has been moved to the front of the visitor center on  7th and Main St





 

 


this was for watering houses and
on the bottom was for dogs

 

 
Henry C. Matysek 
 

     

     John Berry 
this has marker has been moved to
Berry Springs park

 

   view other Williamson County history pages