New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery
Cedar Park, Texas
Location: 200 W New Hope Dr, off US 183
view New Hope First Baptist Church Cemetery page
New Hope First
Baptist Church and Cemetery - Historical Marker
New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery
Historical Narrative by Pastor Kenneth Baker
200 West New Hope Drive,
Cedar Park, Texas 78641
The History of the New Hope First Baptist Church of Cedar Park, Texas is both long and colorful. It has enjoyed a prominent place in the settling of this western area of Williamson County and has been a strong force for good in the growth of the community.
There is some evidence that the church existed here as far back 1848.  The written records available begin in 1868 on October 22. Therefore it is the date claimed. The Church was organized and named the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, meeting at Block House,  in the home of James M. Trammell and his wife Elizabeth. 
The first membership list included James M. Trammell, Elizabeth Trammell, Jesse R. Hicks, W.S. Hicks, S.I. Taylor and Isaac D. Barefoot, as founding members. Thomas F. Bacon was the first pastor, James M. Trammell and Jesse Hicks were ordained to serve as deacons. 4
The first members received in 1868 were : John T. Noble, Lucy Noble, Thomas Inman, J.T. Long, S. Baker and Missouri Trammell. The first Church clerk was D. Barefoot. 
In 1870, a log church was built one and one-quarter miles from the present location and three miles south of Bagdad, on the old Austin to Burnet Road. The land was part of the Trammell property and contained two acres. It was given or sold to the Church for the purpose of building a church.  In 1871, the Church voted to rent the building to the State of Texas for use as a schoolhouse. 
Block House community had a voting box, a school and church. The school was in operation until 1923."Old Cedar Park" and "New Hope" were consolidated to form the new White Stone, built of white rock. It consolidated with Leander in 1954. 
In 1879, a new frame building was erected at the present location.  The old church building was sold for $24.00 and the lot for $6.00.  In 1885 the deeds to the church property and the cemetery were read and approved by the church.  In 1890, the first Sunday School was organized. In 1897, a brush arbor was built to serve for summer revivals. In that year an organ was purchased by the Sunday School.
In 1931, the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church of Christ stopped using the Church of Christ part of the old name. 
The first pastor, Brother Thomas Bacon was paid $14.50 per month as his salary. In 1931, Brother 0.F.Dingler's salary was $15.00 per month. In 1942, the pastor's salary was $27.50 per week. 
On May 28th,1948, a ground breaking was held for the building of new parsonage. Through the years additions and improvements were made to the buildings. 
By 1953, the church had had thirty-eight pastors. To that date eleven preachers had been called to the ministry. A Brother J.E. Hamilton who had pastored at New Hope went to Brazil as a missionary he refused to return home when his time was up. He died in Brazil of Yellow Fever.
There have been many great servants of the Lord serve at New Hope. Dr. D.H. Truhitte was called as interim pastor on February 20, 1966, after his retirement as pastor of Hyde Park Baptist Church in Austin. During his pastorate of nine months, the first part of the auditorium was constructed. On October 9,1966, Brother D.E. Simpson was called as pastor of New Hope. 
Brother D.E. Simpson was baptized August 9,1921, later he was ordained as a deacon, then he surrendered to preach and was ordained as a minister in 1933, all at New Hope Baptist Church. After two years in San Marcos Baptist Academy, he became pastor of the First Baptist Church in Round Rock. He was instrumental in founding the Texas Baptist Children's Home. Brother Simpson retired as pastor of New Hope in 1973. On February 3,1981,he went to be with his Lord. Brother Simpson is buried in the New Hope Cemetery.
On November 18,1973, Brother Kenneth Baker was called as pastor. In January 1974, the name First Baptist Church was added to New Hope. In 1975, the new red brick building was constructed. 
The New Hope First Baptist Church has been affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention since 1869. It joined the Austin Associated of Baptist Churches at Lampasas in 1869.
The Church building was used as a school house for many years and served the Baptist residents of the communities of Bagdad, Leander, White Stone and Cedar Park.
New Hope First Baptist Church has enjoyed a long and useful History in the Leander-Cedar Park area. It has been called by four names: "New Hope Missionary Baptist Church of Christ", "Old Block House Church", "New Hope' and now in 1982, soon to be one hundred and fourteen years, The New Hope First Baptist Church" still holds forth the gospel of Jesus Christ as the hope of the world and our community.
The present Deacons are Elmo Noble, Bill Cox, Burgess Haydon, Bobby Simpson, Neal Hudson, J.M. Huckabee, Ralph Ismael, and Frank Mills. The current membership is now three hundred and Sunday School attendance now stands at one hundred.
Summary of significant dates:
October 22,1868 --- Church constituted
After August 1870 -- early 1871 --- Log Church built-and donated by
1879 moved to present location -- Built a frame building.
1975 --- Built present brick building.
Some family data
Elmo Noble is a grand nephew of the John T. Noble mentioned in the notes. Elmo's father was Green Noble and John T. was his uncle. Mrs. Green Noble was an Edwards, also related to the early Edwards family. Brother Elmo Noble is a deacon in the New Hope Church.
Julia Inman, the youngest daughter of C.S. Inman and Mary Cathren Inman, was born December 13,1896.Her father, C.S. Inman, would have been 69 years old at her birth. He died November 20,1906 at age 79. Julia was 10 years old. She has been a member of New Hope Church 65 years. She was converted and baptized at age 20 and has never married nor been a member of any other church.
New Hope First Baptist Church Endnotes pdf
A Brief Historical Sketch of the New Hope - First Baptist Church and Cemetery PDF