Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 
Bell Community History
Williamson County, Texas

 
  Bell, community named for Calvin Bell who came there in 1852. Legend is that he arrived with only a pair of secondhand boots and a quart of whiskey and asked to spend the night with a settler, who traded the farm to Bell for his boots and liquor. Bell built his home on a hill overlooking the large farm and put up a gin. Henry Lundblad donated land for first Bell School. After Robertson, Union Hill, Chandler Branch, Caldwell Heights schools consolidated with Bell, a larger Bell School was erected, closing in 1949, with pupils being transferred to Hutto, Georgetown and Round Rock. Swedish settlers of community organized Evangelical Free Church at 1884 meeting, later erected church.

a special thanks to Clara Stearns Scarbrough for this slice of history
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
 

 

 

view other communities pages